1 Cranberry Pecan Loaf
1/2 stick softened unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 2/3 C milk (preferably whole)
1 t salt
1. Cut 1-inch-thick diagonal slices from bread.
2. Butter 1 side of each slice and arrange slices, buttered sides up, in 1 layer in a buttered rectangular glass baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit if necessary.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined well, then pour evenly over bread.
4. Chill, covered, until bread has absorbed all of the mix, at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 425°F. Bring mixture to room temperature. Bake, uncovered, in middle of oven until bread is puffed and top is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Note: Mixture can also sit over night for a one step prep in the morning.