Creamy Tomato Soup:
1 lb. diced onions
2 T garlic cloves, chopped
1 T olive oil
(1) 12-oz. can tomato puree
(6) 16-oz. can whole plum tomatoes
2 qts. vegetable stock
½ C oatmeal
1 t dry basil
1 t black pepper, ground
¼ C fresh basil, chopped
Salt to taste
Inside Out Grilled Cheese:
1 Chabaso Baguette, any variety (double for demi baguettes)
6 oz. sliced provolone
6 oz. sliced sharp cheddar
6 oz. sliced Swiss cheese
8 oz. cooked bacon
1. In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic until tender. Add the tomato puree and whole tomatoes, then slowly add the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Slowly pour in the oatmeal while stirring. Then add the dry basil and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Using a stick-blender or hand-blender, puree until smooth.
4. Add the chopped basil and salt to taste.
5. Slice the baguette horizontally the entire length of the loaf. Turn both pieces crust-sides up.
6. Layer the cheese and bacon along the length of one crust-side. Place other piece of bread on toppings, crust-side down.
7. Spread soft butter on the outside top of the sandwich. Cut the loaf into 3 or 4 large pieces, depending on the size of the skillet.
8. Heat skillet and brown both sides of each piece, after buttering 2nd side. Remove from skillet and cut into 1” – 1.5” sections. Makes about 8-10 servings.